I grew up in a christian home with christian parents and an upbringing of christian morale. In Sunday school we learned the song "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tell me so..." I've always known that Jesus loves me, that God loves me, the way that any girl does. The love of a father, the kind of love that is there because of the relation to you, not necessarily the relationship with you. God loves me no matter what because I am His daughter in Christ. But lately I've been seeing something new. Something that just makes my heart want to do back flips.... that love that I described, the love that we understand as little girls that we are loved just because of the relation, that is not even close to the love that God feels for us!
God does not just love us as a father, not just as a savior, He loves us as a passionate lover seeks his bride! I've always heard the phrase "lover of my soul" and referring to God as a woman's "husband". Heck I've even said those things myself many, many times. I thought of "lover of my soul" as meaning that God loves my soul, again because of the relation, not the relationship, and the whole "husband" thing never really felt quite right in my heart. My heart has changed. I am no longer a little girl learning bible songs, I'm no longer as reliant on a father for my emotional needs. I have grown. I have grown physically, mentally and spiritual... why has my concept of God's love not changed. We as grown girls... also referred to as women (even if we are no taller than a 6th grader) have a different need of love as we grow older. We want to be romanced, we want to be pursued, we want to have an intimate love. A deep, fiery, passionate love. The problem is, is that we still view God as just having a fatherly love, but in reality, God's love is all of those things listed above. He'll romance us, pursue us, search after us with the most intimate of loves. The love that He has to give is that of the deepest, most fiery, most passionate love we will ever know. That love is not available from a boyfriend, a fiance, or a husband. So why do we keep looking for it only in the men we are interested in dating? Our perception of God's love hasn't changed. We are still holding on to the love that we learned in Sunday school, and who's to blame us. I mean, personally if the Sunday school teacher would have taught me that God wanted to romance me like my father passionately pursues my mother... I would have been MAJORLY grossed out! Actually, knock that... I don't want to picture that whole makin' out in the kitchen scene. (I apologize for the visual thinkers - you probably just pictured your own parents - and if you hadn't yet you probably just did) :) Anyways...back to what I was saying... God placed the passion in all of our (woman's) hearts the desire to be pursued, maybe its time to let Him fulfill that longing. He is not just our heavenly Father, He is quite literally the lover of our souls. A deep, fiery, passionate lover of our souls. He'll come to sweep you off your feet just as the prince always finds his princess, like prince charming in Cinderella, prince Phillip in Sleeping Beauty, prince Eric in the Little Mermaid, even the beast comes for Belle in Beauty and the Beast. So this time take a little advise from Repunzel... let down your hair and let God, the lover of your soul, rescue you from the sadness, the loneliness and the solitude of that impenetrable tower.
No comments:
Post a Comment